This is the first weekly blog of my Outreachy internship with OpenStack.
So YAY! Finally, the Outreachy Internship has started from 24th May, 2021 🥳
What a productive week it was(24th-30th May). And I’m extremely happy and fortunate to pursue it under a very highly reputed Open Source project, the OpenStack.
I’d like to take a moment here to thank my Project Mentors, Victoria Martinez de la Cruz and Goutham Pacha Ravi for always guiding me throughout the whole Outreachy contribution period (even now :)).
Before I begin, let me share a little about myself. I’m Archana Kumari(she/her), OpenStack intern in Outreachy and a Frontend Developer. I’m a computer science graduate based in India. My interests are in Product Engineering, Open Source, Web Performance, Community Building, User Experience, and Blogging (well more on this later, I’m writing a separate blog introducing myself).
I’m working here for the OpenStack project “OpenStackSDK support for Manila” under the guidance and support of my mentors Victoria Martinez de la Cruz and Goutham Pacha Ravi.
Summary of the week:
- It all started with the kick-off meeting with my project mentor, coordinator and the other interns. It was an amazing experience for me that I got to interact with my project mentor after a long contribution period.
- For the next couple of months, I’ll be going to work on the OpenStack Manila UI project. So I ended up reading so many documentations/blogs of OpenStack to make myself comfortable with their environment and all the other stuff.
- I set up my website(for blogs) using a static site generator, Gatsby (yeah! Gatsby is amazing).
- The Outreachy community has a chat on Outreachy Zulip Server. It used to happen every two weeks. It was my first internship chat and I loved it, as I got to connect with so many people, got to know about their journey, efforts and some valuable points from organizers. I would like to quote one thing from our chat which I feel is so precise. 🌻
Everyone doesn’t know everything. It’s just that many people in open source know a lot about a small number of topics. Individually, we’re experts in one or two topics. Working as a group, we’re experts in a lot of topics.
- Then I have started setting up the development environment for OpenStack with devstack. I’m still working on it(faced few issues there🥺). Also, I attended the OpenStack Manila weekly team meeting on the fourth day of the week(waiting eagerly). Got a chance to interact with other team members of OpenStack and they welcomed the new Outreachy interns in a very warm way. So happy to be a part of this team.
That’s all for the week. It was full of learning new stuff daily 🥳.
See you next week 🙋🏻♀️.